Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Notes on homework #4



Homework 4  has both some relatively easy and straightforward problems and some very difficult problems. From chapter 24, I think 30 is pretty easy; I noticed that in 14 and 16 you can actually just put the 1.6x10-19 in the denominator and MP will calculate the answer for you and give you full credit; in 37 something is open 20% of the time, ask about that if you want…

From chapter 25: 18 and 19 are pretty straightforward I think. 37 has to do with capacitors and resistors in equilibrium. 74 is related to what we did in class yesterday. V(t), I(t) and Q(t)  will all have that exponential form for their time dependence.

Problems 61 and 62 involve the dynamics of capacitors  and they are really difficult.   They both involve exponential time dependence very similar to what we derived  in class yesterday (Monday).   In  case you want to do those problems, and you don't have to,  I  enclose here some notes on those problems. They include more detail in the derivations then you really need to be able to do yourself, but I thought some people might be interested in seeing the time dependence derived in a fundamental way for these somewhat different situations.

Please feel free to post questions on any of the problems of homework 4 here.  also, please let me know if you think you might  benefit  from more time for homework 4.

14 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you could go over an example similar to the Kirchoff's loop rule problem in class. I am having trouble getting the concept of closed loops and voltage drops across resistors that are neither in series nor in parallel (Such as resistors A and D in the problem)
    Also I am all for extending the homework 4 deadline, I would like more class time to catch up with some of the concepts in the homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone asked about problem 25.37. Let me ask you a question about that problem: in equilibrium, what is the current through the capacitor?

    Now admittedly, that is sort of a vague question. How might you describe and answer that? How could you rephrase and answer it in a more precise way? ... and how would that help you realize the answer to this subtle, interesting, and yet ultimately simple, problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An extra day on the homework would be great =].

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been extended to Saturday night i think...

    ReplyDelete
  5. but it is a fast deadline. about 10% per hour, so we can post the solutions on Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is anyone else having problems with the site? It's not letting me submit answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here. It doesn't take submitted answers. Is the website down?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope. I'm still having problems with the site! I have my solutions worked out, but I can't submit my answers. Not even accepting them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So it depends on the browser - apparently Google Chrome doesn't work. It's best to use Safari, Firefox, or Internet Explorer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forwarded your comments to:
    "Austermehle, Courtney" ,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney says: "don't use google chrome"
    (paraphrase)

    ReplyDelete